POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Neptune seen from Triton wip : Re: Neptune seen from Triton wip Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Neptune seen from Triton wip
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 Dec 2006 07:15:01
Message: <web.45813fec67574c2c731f01d10@news.povray.org>
> Well, both views are correct, I think. RL often doesn't live up to
> imagination when you remember the revelation of the first photographs of
> Jupiter's moons for instance, or the first really close-up photographs of
> Mars. But happily, we are still entitled to artistic licence indeed!!
> However, I think that, unconsciously, I would like to re-create RL in
> POV-Ray!!  :-)

I think cheating's OK in this sort of case. If the end result is
indistinguishable from the rigorous version, what the hell. Planets in
skies etc look like they're painted on the inside of a dome anyway. (hmm,
sounds familiar...)

With the Ringworld, the issue was that the structure itself was visible at
all distances, and so couldn't be faked realistically. And, remember what I
did to give it an atmosphere... :)

Bill